Rights of the Woman

Traditionally it is the woman who takes up the husband’s surname upon marriage but this need not be the case.  Today more and more couples are deciding not taking the traditional route of changing their names upon marriage.

Divorce/Separation – A Woman’s Rights

If you are in the process of divorcing your husband or are separated from him and you have taken his surname as your married name, you can change revert back to your maiden name using a Deed Poll document. If you choose to use a Deed Poll to change your married name, you do not need the divorce to be completed and you can do this any time. Alternatively you could wait for the divorce to complete and use the decree absolute to get your married name changed back to your maiden name.