Widowed – A Woman’s Rights

If a woman is widowed then she can keep her married name or if she wishes she can revert back to her maiden name. If she wants to revert back to her maiden name then she can use her husband’s death certificate and her marriage certificate as documentary evidence to change her married name back to maiden name. This is because the marriage certificate retains details of her maiden name. Governmental departments and organizations would accept the death certificate and marriage certificate as sufficient evidence to change her name details from her married name to her maiden name. However, some banks and financial institutions may not.


Deed Poll

If she wishes to change any other part of her name, other than her married name then the death and marriage certificate would not be sufficient to allow her to do this.

In both the above cases, or in the event that she does not have her husband’s death certificate or her marriage certificate at hand, she will need a Deed Poll document to allow her to change her name and for that name change to be acceptable, in particular with banks and financial institutions. Our Deed Poll documents would allow her to do this.


Prices and Service